iPhone App Directory

NLog Synthesizer for iPhone: First Look


Sometimes having your train cancelled in the morning can be a good thing. Although, it didn't feel like it this morning as it was soooo cold.

However, I spent the time this morning getting acquainted with this app. Here are my first impressions:

Interface:

The app has a nice clean interface and a keyboard that allows you to slide up and down to reach plenty of octave space. Initially I thought the keyboard was a little small, but then worked out that you can change the size in one of the settings which is very useful.

The interface is clean and easy to work through and made sense almost instantly. Some of the knobs were a little 'sticky' at times, but that might just have been my fingers in the cold weather.

Sound:

The sound quality from this app is excellent, clean and a pleasure to listen to, I ran through the presets (32 of them) and they give you a good feel for what it can do. No issues here at all.

Functionality:

This is a good little synth app and certainly one of the best I've used on the iPhone platform so far. You get 2 oscillators good ADSR and filter control, and a reasonable amount of performance control too. Here are the specs.

- 2 Oscilators with sine, square, sawtooth and triangle waveforms
- Pulsewidth modulation, frequency modulation and ring modulation
- Noise generator
- Filter with cutoff and resonance control
- 3 Envelope generators
- 2 LFOs
- Rich set of modulation parameters
- Stereo delay with cross-feed

All of these worked well and give you loads of control over the sound. The only shame is that it is monophonic, but I guess that's not really a big draw back at the end of the day.

CORRECTION: I don't know why I thought it was mono. It isn't at all, and sounds great.

Click the iTunes button to see it in the iTunes app store:

NLog Synthesizer

Bookmark and Share

tags technorati :

3 comments:

Pighood said...

FM is most pronounced in the higher octaves, and with the oscillators detuned. High octane DX bell prOn. I love this app more every time I launch. And with the upcoming features, it will be even more of a must buy.

ashley said...

Agreed, it is an excellent bit of design.

Where did you find out about the upcoming features? I couldn't find any info on the developers site so I'm intrigued as to what's coming next.

Pighood said...

I made a few suggestions to the publisher, and he said many of them were already in the works.