iPhone App Directory

Slowing down?

Now that Apple have announced their OS 3.0 for the iPhone and iPod Touch I wonder if we will see a slow down in developers actually releasing apps? Will they instead be developing new apps using the 1000 odd new APIs in the SDK and updating and expanding existing apps?

I don't know about you, but I've noticed a slow down in the number of new apps arriving just lately. Is it the new SDK and possibly the thought of new hardware, or maybe something more mundane like the general state of the world economy?

Any thought?

Bookmark and Share

2 comments:

velocipede said...

I think it is probably more to do with the new APIs and possible new hardware than the economy. I imagine, though, that some developers might be on a maintenance mode with their existing products and perhaps seeking programming work with guaranteed income because of the difficulty making good money in the App market, not just because of the state of the overall economy.

The other thing is that a lot of niches have been filled. New Apps will have to do more and better than existing ones. The challenge level is probably higher.

robman84 said...

You're probably right about 3.0 slowing people down. I'm more concerned, personally, about apps relying too heavily on Bluetooth for functionality, given the lack of BT on the iPod Touch. We'll have to see. I imagine next year I'll end up buying an iPhone anyway.

Despite the slowdown though, there have been some truly excellent apps recently, and my wallet is probably relieved to see things slowing somewhat.

I'd really like to see some updates to existing apps. I know the devs are beavering away!