iPhone App Directory

First thoughts on Intua BeatMaker.

Of all the iPod Touch applications I’ve used so far BeatMaker is the most complex and sophisticated. It has to be said that for a platform that is this new it is an amazing application.

In many ways it reminds me of GarageBand for the Mac. It is really very easy to use and simple to get results from using just the pre-installed sample packs. So far that’s all I’ve been concentrating on doing.

For the most part the controls are fairly simple and intuitive. Setting up a few patterns is straightforward and results can be quantized quickly. The supplied 'beatpacks' provide a good range of high quality content to use immediately and I would say that anyone with a casual acquaintance with any drum machine or basic sequencing package should be able to get up and running in a matter of minutes.

As yet I haven't tried out many of the apps more interesting features, but I hope to in the next week or so, and as I do I'll post my findings.

No comments: