iPhone App Directory

Next steps in emulation

I’ve talked quite a lot about emulation lately and it has even made it onto the first Palm Sounds podcast, so I thought I should perhaps give a little bit more information about what I’m doing and why.

Ages ago I started toying with the idea of running an Atari emulation on my Tungsten T3 so I could run and access old Atari music applications that I’d used years ago.

In many ways these apps weren’t as good as stuff like Microbe or Bhajis Loops, but they present a different way of making music with the same device and for a very little or no cost.

So, here's where I'm at:

ZX Spectrum Emulation
Still trying out old ZX apps, and slowly going through them. I think I downloaded well over 30 apps to test out so it is a slow process as you can imagine.

C64 Emulation
Struggling with this a little, mainly with getting the screen to work at a size that is actually workable. However, I have just found that the emulator has a very useful feature which allows you to record the audio output from the emulator into a single wav file on the root drive on the PPC. Nice.

Atari ST Emulation
Haven't really got started on this as yet, but I am hopeful.

DOS Emulation
Again, not started, but I hope to get this moving next week.

Mac Emulation
I have mini vMac running but I don't think that this is ever going to be really useful, which is a shame as it looks great. Still, I may find a way to make it useful at some point.

So, overall there's still lots to do but I hope that it will become useful at some point. I think my best chances are with the Atari and C64 emulation and I may try to focus my efforts there.

No comments: