iPhone App Directory

More on what ioLibrary API is and does


Following the ongoing discussion about ioLibrary, Amidio have published details today at their blog. They've also posted this comment on the previous post at Palm Sounds on the same subject:
Okay, we released the ioLibrary API v.1.2. We will send it by email to anyone interested, however the package contents are confidential.

The API is done in a form of a compileable app. All the sources are there, it's not a binary library. Everything is quite simple, but it works.

At this stage, API is offered at "as is" principle (ie no custom modifications), but we're open to discussion if you find something objectionable.

All the legal issues are covered and everything's OK to use it in your own apps (i'm short of time to cover this in detail)

The API is 100% legal with Apple (our own apps demostrate this)

Apart from basic audio exchange functionality, current version of ioLibrary API (1.2) offers:

- direct Beatmaker export (since Beatmaker has access to ioLibrary folder)

- direct SoundCloud.com export (via the SoundCloud API)

- built-in Wi-Fi server with the possibility of multi-upload (zipped files)

We're working on implementing sync to global clock between apps.

From a users point of view it sounds very exciting indeed, but I can understand the issues that have been voiced so far, and I hope that between Amidio and the developers they are trying to work with, a real solution can be worked out.

Bookmark and Share

2 comments:

Richard Lawler said...

I want to thank Amidio for their comments and posting updated information on ioLibrary.

I am pleased to hear that ioLibrary will be made available to all interested parties, and that it will be distributed as source code. These two things go a long way toward addressing many of my concerns.

I plan to explore the library's capabilities and evaluate using it with my project.

The library as "sample application" distribution scheme would lend itself well to a permissive open source license such as Apache, MIT or BSD. I would encourage Amidio to pursue such a path as I think it would alleviate any remaining concerns for me and probably for other developers.

Thanks again to Amidio for their openness and effort.

- Richard Lawler

Unknown said...

Always glad! :)

I really do not like to view the music apps scene as a market full of competitors.

First of all, I'm a musician, and I want the mobile music creation possibilities to grow and evolve!