iPhone App Directory

I need some help

For a long time I've used a Treo 650 as my main PDA. I use it for everything really, phone, email, diary, Bhajis loops and many other music apps, short video clips etc etc.

However, it is 4 years old now and whilst it is still going strong some of the keys are showing signs of wear, and I know it won't last forever. There have been a few unexplained resets (very annoying when you're in the middle of working on a new track and haven't saved as yet), and it doesn't have a huge amount of memory on board.

So, I've been thinking about what sort of thing I'd want as a replacement for it. I started thinking about my requirements. Here's what I've got so far:
  • Must be able to run StyleTap and therefore Bhajis / Microbe
  • Must have a decent camera for video capture and stills
  • Able to use TrakAx mobile to create and mix content on device
  • MUST be able to use Mixtikl whenever it becomes available
  • Ideally should have a keyboard
  • Bluetooth
  • WiFi
I think I'm leaning towards a windows mobile device / phone to be honest, but I'm not sure, I've heard lots of bad things about windows mobile smartphone, and I'd have to have a touch screen device for sure.

Anyway, any suggestions, advice, and especially devices to avoid would be really useful.

4 comments:

Pete Cole said...

Some very cheap Windows Mobile PDAs at expansys at the moment!

Pete

NightRadio said...

I'm thinking about it too... Because my T|T is too old and too slow :)
Possible variants for me:
* gp2x;
* nokia n800;
* iPhone;
* some Win Mobile device with fast CPU... may be, ASUS?

christian.ryan said...

Well, I've just made the jump from a Treo 700 to an HTC Mogul, and I'm still in the adjustment phase of moving to a new OS (I've been using Palm devices for at least ten years.) I still really miss my Treo's simplicity - but I think the HTC Mogul's the best choice for me right now.
I've been running Microbe via StyleTap, and have been demo'ing a few other music apps with pretty consistent results.
The camera blows away the camera on my 700p, and with a registry tweak (this IS WinMobile) - you can record better than 320x200 video @ 15+FPS in MJPEG. Oh, and the 2 megapixel stills are really good too - on-screen "manual" controls let you adjust exposure, white balance, etc. Even the flash, which is just a super bright white LED, can be pretty useful.
WiFi, Bluetooth, GPS...slide out keyboard and HUGE screen (compared to the Treo); even though the screen res is comparable, the extra real estate is easier on the eyes.
I'd suggest you visit your phone carrier's store (if you plan on sticking w/ your provider) and spend a while handling and playing with the pda's. The switch from Palm OS to Windows Mobile is/was (at least for me) taxing and takes a while to adjust to, but if you give it some time you might find it suits you pretty well.
Good luck, and let us know what you end up choosing.

ashley said...

Thanks for the suggestions, the HTC Mogul seems interesting, I think I'll take a look at that.