iPhone App Directory

Interersting debate on MIDI as an IAP in Auria at the Audiobus forum

There's always been a lively debate about the use of IAPs which has diminished since IAPs first became available to developers as a way of bringing in additional revenue in the absence of upgrade pricing (which I think most agree would make life much better).

However, MIDI has been a source of contention with some seeing it as a basic element to an app rather than an add-on. Although the overall view of this has changed too over time.

Anyway, this debate at the Audiobus forum shows just how views have changed over time and it's a positive thing in my view.

1 comment:

MusicInclusive said...

This is interesting.

I know when I realized that Animoog's MIDI *out* was an IAP I was not all that happy. Being able to use Animoog as a controller was appealing, as well as being able to record its automation, and although I did purchase the MIDI out IAP I did so a little grudgingly. I think it's probably too "core" to have as an IAP.

OTOH I do not mind at *all* paying for the preset packs - e.g. in Animoog or SampleTank or Alchemy - or for example additional modules as in Modular. The issue with that is that the software authors (or those franchised by them in some way) are creating the presets - whereas the folks at Auria do not have that particular avenue to pursue.

I would probably pay for it. BUT I'd prefer to pay for other additional modules instead and see MIDI as free in Auria. I understand they need to make money. As an app developer too I understand that! :-)

Derek Jones, Owner: MusicInclusive LLC
www.musicinclusive.com