iPhone App Directory

Caustic 2.1, MIDI and Android latency ...

I watched this video of Caustic 2.1 running along with a MIDI keyboard and got really excited by the idea. It seemed that it was a real step forward for Android and music making. Sadly, when I tried it out it wasn't nearly as good as I thought it might be. Basically the latency was way too high to be usable.

It makes me slightly sad that Google haven't made more of an effort to address the latency issues. There was a lot of talk about it, and lets face it, the hardware is pretty good (in the Nexus 7) so why do musical apps have to struggle with these kind of limitations?

I know that a lot of people will say that music making isn't a real priority for Google's Android OS. That's fine, but then why say it'll be addressed?

It doesn't make sense to me. It's a missed opportunity and I know it puts off developers.

3 comments:

pulseminus said...

How many ms of latency with nexus 7? On my 10 inches tablet (packard bell liberty tab, a clone of iconia tab) latency is not so bad....It is not iOS, but I can use it....

Anonymous said...

Android is a great platform as long as what you want is a decent iPhone clone.

If your requirements are more sophisticated than that, though, Google doesn't care about you. They are going after the mass audience, and you're more trouble for them to support than the next guy.

People waiting for Android to work out as a music platform are going to be disappointed for a long time.

ludwig said...

Google is a glorified advertising agency set on world domination that is so arrogant thinks it has no need to pay taxes- why would it be interested in catering to creative , free-thinking , possibly subversive musician types like us ?