iPhone App Directory

Griff Network MIDI plugin



I was browsing around the Griff forum to see if there was anything of interest, and stumbled upon this thread:

"..... serendipitous timing. I met up with Tim from TAO the other day and he reminded me about the network midi plugin I put together for Griff but never released. I finally tracked it down

run the midiPlug_setup.exe to install the midiplug on your pocketpc.

Run the dmidi_server.exe on your pc - It's pretty basic but should show you the network adapter IP address you're listening on. If you're connected by activesync you'll see at least two adapters: your pc lan adapter and your pc->pocketpc adapter. You can connect over activesync

you'll need to edit the registry key on your pocketpc: [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cobwebb\MidiPlug\Settings] and add/edit a STRING: destinationIP to be your PCs ip address eg: 192.168.1.1 - you may be able to edit then use the .reg file attached. Otherwise install PHM Registry editor (free) http://www.phm.lu/Products/PocketPC/RegEdit/

The interface is pretty sparse - hover over the knobs and sliders to see what they do. Also the server will output each midi command received.

I was having fun controlling VSTi's through it yesterday.

Please let me know how you go with it. The idea has a lot of potential that we will never realise. Controlling PC DAWS, live use etc.
-----------------------------
Posted: Sat May 05, 2007 5:34 am Post subject:
ok my bluetooth adapter is not seeing my pda so i will use the usb cable to get midi from midiplug to the desktop

ok i have run regedit on the desktop,
i have updated the ip to the lan ip
so i have activesync'ed the pda to the desktop via a usb cable
i run dmidi server and it is outputting midi to native instruments kore
it is listening on the lan ip

my question is .... since dmidi server is outputting to kore does that mean that i should connect a midi cable to the output of kore to a midi in of a computer that will be responding to midi cc value such as volume that is transmitted by midiplug and through kore midi out to something that i want to control with midiplug?

i start griff and add instrument / midplug...
it says that it will send midi to the hkey_current etc etc, but is this talking about the registry ip address value that i updated on my desktop or the ip address value that i am supposed to be updating in the registry editor on my pda (which i cannot figure out how to do)?

so...does this mean that midiplug is trying to send midi to the lan ip, and if so, is it connected via activesync (i edited the registry entry on my desktop, not my pda, how do i edit my pda's registry???, i downloaded the editor but it does not show up in my program files, i did activesync it and it did say that it was installed on my pda after the sync)

so since i have my pda connected via activesync... is the volume slider in midi plug once i move it trying to send volume cc data to kore output (since i said "y" to output it to kore in dmidi server?

so i connected the midi out of kore to the midi in of a roland d2 and listened for a volume change on channel 10 as i was moving the volume and pan knob also...

..nothing...i had set the channel to 10 on midi plug

it seems that kore does not hear dmidi server, and why should it? is dmidi server supposed to be sending to it? or is dmidi server somehow supposed to be able to access the kore midi out withour kore knowing / showing it?

also, how does activesync tell the lan ip that it is connecting the pda to the lan ip?
am i supposed to be editing the ip address of the registry on the desktop at all?

it should be working because midiplug said it would send midi to the registry, but is the problem that i did not insert the registry file in the pda? i think this is the error, but how do i edit the registry of the pda?

where is the registry editor program supposed to be on my pda? it said it successfully downloaded.

i think i know the problem, the phm registry editor download is not showing up in the list of items to be installed on my pda, perhaps because it is not designed for use with my devie? my device is a cingular 8125 with windows mobile 5 (200 mhz cpu).

but i can manually edit the registry on my pda right? how?
please advise, thanks


I don't think that this is a finished conversation, and I'll be keeping an eye on how it develops, but it is a really useful addition to the Griff suite of plugins. I haven't tried it as yet, but I plan to.

According the the guys at Griff, all the instructions for setting it up are in the above.

More soon

PS. The Picture above is of the original Griff MIDI plugin, but I thought it might help.

No comments: