iPhone App Directory

Will the new iPhone have a different doc connector

If it does, my real question is what will this mean for accessory manufacturers? I've already got hardware add-ons that only work with the 3G/3GS and others that only work with the iPad and iPhone 4/4S, so if there is a new doc connector as so many people are claiming my only guess is that this will mean a whole new bunch of hardware add-ons too.

Alternatively, manufacturers could just stop supporting the hardware. I'm sure that for smaller manufacturers it isn't easy at all, although for larger companies it'll be easier to see it through, and of course, some may just be expecting it.

So, what's my point? Really I'm just asking how people feel about having to not only move to a new device, which is always nice in a way, but then to find that all your hardware is obsolete isn't so much fun.

What will it mean for you?

2 comments:

Garloo said...

I think it is going to be a drag but I am sure they will make an adaptor of some type.

A lot of their connectivity (TV and streaming music) is going to move to airplay. I am not sure how that will work with audio-in as I think there is now some kind of audio flow system in IOs 6 so if they move to a more thunder connection it will be fast and perhaps more like a standard cable able to switch and identify data transfer function between connections (using software) than using them staticly.

Then the new DAWS can get more than 8 chanels of audio in.

In a few years I am sure they will move to the lightwire connection they developed with intel last year but are phasing in thunderbolt (as a transition) which is still metal not optical and has a fraction of the through put.

Garloo said...

It is a drag but they will make a adapter.

Airplay is the way they are going toward connctions of audio out and through.

The new connector will no doubt bring some of the thunderbolt technologies which could mean higher throughput and software management of the digital transfer as opposed to dedicated pins.

I think there is a new audio routing bit in iOS 6 so it might mean eventually being able to get more than 8 chanels of audio in.