I've been thinking about this since it was announced a few days ago, and wondering what, if anything, it might mean for mobile music. I've sort of come to the conclusion that it probably won't mean anything, at least not for some time anyway, and by that I don't mean that the devices won't see the light of day for a while, but also that it will take time for adoption to rise and gain any ground and then for someone to try and make music with it, which of course, someone will.
So, what do you think? Will Firefox OS have anything to offer mobile music?
4 comments:
I think the fact that it's web app based will mean the web itself will finally accept either the Google audio API or the Mozilla one and allow for non-Flash websites to do audio processing, OSC and more. For that reason I think it's very exciting. Also that these apps will hopefully be usable on a huge range of devices which will help developers a lot.
Short answer: not now, long term: maybe.
I think that unless you're a contender with a knockout proprietary product and medium-deep pockets backing it, venturing into mobile media production as a "showcaser" for your new OS is a bad idea because A) it's already being done fairly well - if imperfectly - by iOS, and B) processor-heavy work (such as pro audio) tends to expose the bugs and design flaws of any given hardware/software package.
you can try it now:
http://dknite.wordpress.com/2012/07/18/desktop-builds-now-available-for-firefox-os/
Post a Comment