Having started to use Shapesynth (and associated apps like Brother and Sinusoid) again, I'm moving back to the old Akai SS25.
I'd not done this before as I'd been concerned about using my iPhone 4 in the SS25, but a friend persuaded me to try it (in a very stealthy way), and of course it worked fine. Well at least NanoStudio works fine with it, I haven't tried the rest as yet, but I will be doing that soon.
I have to say that I'd forgotten just how handy it is as a keyboard and controller, and I think I'll be using it a lot more soon.
iPod Touch at the Apple Store

3 comments:
I've looked at these several times. What's put me off is the consistent report of double-hits, especially on the black keys.
I ended up buying an Ion Piano Apprentice for about the same price (US$35 on eBay). Doesn't have mod or pitch wheels, and can't be used as a straight MIDI controller, but key velocity seems to be more sensitive, and there's a pair of (admittedly not very good) speakers built-in. Oh yeah, and it's CoreMIDI compatible.
Actually, with a SS25 and MidiBridge, you can use pretty much all CoreMIDI-enabled applications.
I'd say MidiBridge is a must-have for SS25 owners.
I can certainly attest to the double hit problem. I can't quite put my finger as to why it happens but it does quite often.
Sadly, my iPod Touch 2 is now more or less unable to run a lot of the apps I used to use all the time with the SS25. I can get perhaps two or three tracks of with Music Studio before it starts to stutter. NanoStudio is better though.
I've pretty much given up on the SS25 and now use my iPad 2 with a MIDI controller, though I'm bummed that I can't keep my iPad charged while using Apple's USB adapter for MIDI. This is one of the reason's why I still find working with Apple's iOS hardware frustrating.
Rant, rant, rant...
BTW Ashley, it's nice to see you back online!
Post a Comment