iPhone App Directory

O-Generator Acoustic Music Maker Review

I've been playing with O-Generator Acoustic Music Maker for a couple of weeks and getting into it in that time, so I thought it was a good moment to put down some of my thoughts.

O-Generator Acoustic Music Maker is a rotary sequencer. I like rotary style sequencers on the whole, but they don't always work. Unlike the more standard grid a rotary interface can get messing very quickly. However, O-Generator Acoustic Music Maker's interface doesn't suffer in that way. It has been very well thought through and is very easy to work with.


On the right of the screen you select an instrument or sample, and on the left you select the point you want it played in the pattern. Couldn't be simpler. Well actually it is. Whilst the large circles represent the layer you're currently working on, the smaller ones tell you what you've placed in other layers.

It works really well actually.


So what's this app like and how can I use it?
I'm glad you asked. If you're after a synth app then don't try this one. This is really for composition and sequencing and song writing. And, in the time I've used it I've found it good in those areas. If you want to start pulling together a rhythm and add a bass then some guitar, piano, etc it is very good at building up those layers.

As for how you might use this, I think it can be an effective compositional app for song writers.


How long will it take to get used to?
Again, this is an easy learning curve of an app. There aren't huge numbers of pages to get through, most of what you need is on the screen above. The app is very usable.

What I liked about the app?
I've mentioned the interface, which was, in my opinion very well thought out. I also liked the volume control for each layer which is actually in the screen above and make sense from a usability and visual perspective. The app comes with some very good tutorials to get you going with the app, but you may not need them. As for exporting, at the moment it is a wifi export.

What would I like to see in this app next?
You can guess what I'm going to say can't you? Yep, copy/paste. For me, if you could get it working with other apps I think it'd be really handy to work alongside other apps.

Aside from that I think some light effects could be nice too.

Overall?
I think that for the price of just over a cup of coffee this app is great value. Straightforward to use, well designed interface and good high quality sound makes this a great app to work with.

O-Generator Acoustic Music Maker - O-Music Ltd

Clip to Evernote

No comments: