iPhone App Directory

YUMI:synth for iPad: More detailed review

Now that I've had a bit more time to play around with YUMI I thought I'd put my thoughts down, although I get the feeling that this might ramble a bit.

YUMI is an instrument for the iPad, and I start by making that distinction as it is becoming increasingly important in defining the kinds of applications that are appearing for the iOS platform, and I hope in time will appear for other mobile platforms.

At the moment I think that apps fall into the following categories:
  • Instruments (like YUMI)
  • Synths (including noise makers)
  • Sequencers and All in one type app (this really needs a better name doesn't it)
  • Recording
  • DJ apps
  • Controllers
  • Art apps
Anyway, I digress. YUMI is an instrument. That's for sure. As an instrument, by default you may need some skill to play it. This is true in a way as you can make some fairly nice sounds with this app without really knowing what you're doing, but, it is also true to say that you can make it sound awful as well.

So far I haven't quite got a completely comfortable hold to use with this app that I think would work for performing, but I can see this being a very performance orientated instrument. I can see someone performing with it and doing it with style too.

If you didn't know already, YUMI comes from the developer of the amazing Jasuto Pro modular synth for iOS, and I'd say that this is a bit of a departure for him. YUMI is a much more narrow application than Jasuto. Not that that is a bad thing at all, the two have very different focuses in terms of what they're about.

In terms of using YUMI it has been very straightforward. The controls are all simple and easy to pick up and the array of sounds available is in keeping with the whole concept of the app, which is a good thing in my book.

In terms of playing the app, again it has been very easy to get to grips with, but I think that with time you could do a lot with this app and become very proficient in performing with it.

Overall I'd say that YUMI is well worth the $3 or whatever it is charged at right now. If you're going to buy it don't expect Jasuto in any way. It is a performance app first an foremost, and is very enjoyable to use.

YUMI:synth - Chris Wolfe

iPads at the Apple Store

Clip to Evernote

1 comment:

brian said...

Hey, you just about nailed the categories I keep my own apps in.