The 4S specs are not bad at all, and there's the whole 'assistant' thing, which, while very cool looking doesn't appear to be available for devs to play with, so there'll be no 'write me a 4/4 beat' coming to an app near you.
I guess my question to devs is 'what will this add to mobile music?'. My question to everyone is 'will you upgrade or wait for the iPhone 5 whenever that comes along?
30 comments:
I think we have too low expectations.
Would we have felt let down if these same internal specs was in a new hardware design? I think not.
This way, there's still room for mind:blown later. :-)
I think we all have too high expectations.
And as for the current worldwide economy climate...well....
There's another side to this. On the one hand, app developers won't have a bigger screen to work with. On the other hand, app developers won't have yet another screen size to design the UI for.
The one question I'm still waiting for an answer to is: will the CCK work with iPhones and iPods in the final version of iOS 5?
DSWO that's a good question The Gold Standard version of iOS 5 is now out to developers. Maybe that can answer that Q?
I wasn't expecting anything new today. There wasn't any new details about IOS5 that they hadn't told us when they presented it a few months ago. No deceptions here, its what I was expecting.
Except that I just can't believe they overlooked the "Iphone For Ass" thing... ;)
All depends on what you have got. As a single device the 4S looks great (as did the 4) but if you've got a decent phone and maybe an iPad and camera then there's less reason to get one. My "heavy duty" music stuff is all done on my 1st gen iPad these days. Big screen fo old eyes and big hands :)
As I said before, not worthy of a big event, nothing radical, but since when has that stopped Apple? The bigger issue for Apple is whether the media stays on their side (BBC sems to be wavering).
I look at this move as further dividing an already fractured family.
Why didn't the iPod Touch get a refresh? I will say it again, the original iPad should have never been released to consumers. If the iPad 2 would have released along side the iPhone 4 and 4th generation iPod Touch all would be right. Apple really needs to take a step back and get all devices on the same timeline. I would like to see all three devices with similar specs, with maybe the iPad being a little more powerful because of its price point. This current state really makes it hard for developers to program. It is a waste of resources and a waste of the consumers money and time.
Why can't a company just make a powerful tablet that is designed with artistic endeavors in mind?
Its all about the interface and the apps!
@dswo: a new micro USB connection thing is out:
http://www.cultofmac.com/120594/official-apple-adapter-lets-you-charge-your-iphone-through-micro-usb/
(Or is it charging only?)
Does this mean that CCK will work in ios5?
I think the real let down for me is the wait for iCloud and ios 5.
Upgrading ASAP.
Bit disappointed in honesty.
I'll be picking one up though, 3GS needs upgrading now
Why didn't they just call it iPhone 5? Why connect it with the iPhone 4? I'm eligible for an upgrade so I'm going for this one and wait 2 years now for the next.
I think people should be happy that apps even exist at all. Otherwise we would be stuck in the dark ages and using pcs and laptops.
What apple have done thus far is incredible. And the new 4s phone looks amazing anyway.
The fact that I have an iPad, with numerous great apps that can audio copy and paste to each other is a big blessing, and music apps are getting better and better.
I think we need apple staff to be humans, go at the pace they are able to maintain and not rush things out due to our impatience.
Like it or not, apple make the best tablets, host the best apps and have the best phones on the market, and will continue to do so.
The new iphone4s will outsell all other smartphones and next year more great things will come from apple.
Looking forward to Thursday's new apps:)
@zaclaurent
"Otherwise we would be stuck in the dark ages and using pcs and laptops."
Not really, there was plenty of tablets before Apple came in. They raised the general awareness when it comes to tablets and I'm grateful for that. Before it was impossible to get one for less than a few grands.
Its funny you talk about the "dark ages", because a lot of people believes the computing "dark ages" has begun in regards to how Apple restricts access to some of the most basic features of its OS (filesystem, clipboard, can only access apps from itunes, etc). There's also a belief that those restrictions will one day come to OSX, let hope not.
Some apps are great, my favorites are Mugician, SynthX, and many others, but I still prefer good old Windows tablets when it comes to sequencing and recording, oh and plugins too :) When a synth is great, its even greater when it can be used with any DAWs, which is not the case with IOS, you are usually stuck inside an app.
I would rather be stuck inside an app to be honest...since getting an iPod touch three years ago, I abandoned windows pcs, they always crash, always crash
Besides, I like to just keep things simple, I have an iPad, I make music on it and I can export it out of the iPad without a laptop or pc
I think if some prefer windows, that's fine, if some prefer apple, thats also fine
But the simple fact always remains:
Windows crash much more than apple devices
Apple sell more products than Microsoft
There is a good reason for that.
My own preference is to keep the iPad as a standalone device, some may want to use a camera kit and plug in a midi keyboard, and , as ashley sometimes shares on this site, some use an iPad alongside hardware and a laptop and I think that's great. But as a producer and an app reviewer/ beta tester, I am pushing developers like mad to ensure the apps can be standalone.
By the end of the year, an unprecedented DAW will be released for the iOS and is in the final stages of development. When this comes out, other devs will see what can truly be done on the IOS.
I sincerely believe that apps are the future, many cannot afford software and resort to cracked versions and that's not fair on the devs, thus apps make things more portable and affordable, thus empowering more people to actually make music.
I'm not upgrading yet. The 4s is exactly what I was expecting but I am going to keep my iPhone 4 for a second year before upgrading. My iPhone 4 is my first iPhone and I want to get a feel for long term battery life and overall durability before I drop another 300 or 400 on a new phone. I am not crazy about the iPhone 4 design in general, the glass back seems like a bad idea if you ask me. I would have preferred a newly designed iPhone with a bigger screen. However it would be nice to have a 64gb iPhone right now. Obviously the camera, processor and ram upgrade is very appealing.
It seems pretty great.
I wonder what music apps will do the the new jestures, cloud sync, wifi sync features.
As well there seems to be a upgrade on the iphone audio controls (right and left audio levels and EQ) might imply a more robust core audio. Or just access controls to some new things.
@zaclaurent
"I would rather be stuck inside an app to be honest."
Could you really limit yourself to only one apps? Which one would it be?
"Windows crash much more than apple devices"
Not if you use a good computers, mine don't, like never (task manager says 7689 hours cpu time currently :), but its possible you might have had a bad experience, they do sell a lot of cheap crappy computers out there.
"Apple sell more products than Microsoft"
Like selling 7 copies of Windows every seconds? How much copies of Lion did Apple sell? Answer : much less than Windows. But its ok, Microsoft and Apple are not in the same market, hence why iCloud is built on MS Azure.
"There is a good reason for that."
Its true, Microsoft doesn't sell music, Apple is the biggest music retailer in the world. Even bigger than WalMart and HMV.
"By the end of the year, an unprecedented DAW will be released for the iOS and is in the final stages of development."
Its probably going to be a great recording app, maybe even a multitrack recorder, but it won't be a DAW as it won't be able to host other apps. I would like to use SynthX in such an app, but its not currently possible in IOS.
I would like to be able to insert SynthX in an app like Tabletop or Garage band, but its just not possible unless Apple opens up a bit and allow apps to act like plugins, because at their core, they are.
@commenter
Getting late now..been quite a day
I was referring to hardware not software or iOS upgrades as far as sales go FYI
Its however a global fact that the amount of Microsoft pcs and laptops that end up in computer repair shops far outweigh that of apple made ones.
You may be lucky and have a decent pc that has not crashed yet, maybe it never will and if so, that's great. I am just going on common knowledge.
The best standalone daws on the iPad thus far have audio copy and paste so, synth x, which I also like, can export sounds to those apps for a complete production.
Take nano studio, have you tried it? It does a lot, you can export a loop from synth x or sunrizer etc..put it in there and sequence, sample it, resample it, chop it up, make some beats and sequence a full track.
There is no question now that it can be done. I've heard tracks made on iOS that are pro level, world class.
It is just the mastering that is needed to be done elsewhere ( at present)
To quote you:
Its probably going to be a great recording app, maybe even a multitrack recorder, but it won't be a DAW as it won't be able to host other apps. I would like to use SynthX in such an app, but its not currently possible in IOS.
As mentioned above, pasteboard and Sonoma audio copy paste can enable sounds made from those apps enter into a daw, nano studio, beatmaker2, tabletop, sequence , GarageBand to name but a few
And then there is the virtual midi, where apps can jam together and/ or use one app to control another, and then there is the new wist, or is it vist technology developed by korg that can enable other cool things to happen.
This is a huge discussion, I maintain my position that I have full faith that full production ( not mastering) can now actually be done on the iOS, ive heard the evidence and am testing it out myself.
But it's bedtime for me now...
i dont get you ppl. siri is a dream come true!!!
cant wait to get my hands on it, and i wasnt in for a new phone.
Yes, Siri is cool:)
And she now works for apple:)
@zac: lol, i said on it, not on her
"Its however a global fact that the amount of Microsoft pcs and laptops that end up in computer repair shops far outweigh that of apple made ones."
Of course, with PCs by far outselling Macs there will be more in repair shops, the questions is what % of each sold needed repair. I used to work in an Apple certified repair shop, I can affirm that I have fixed a lot of broken ones.
"I am just going on common knowledge."
Its called assumptions, and assuming too much is never a good thing.
"The best standalone daws on the iPad thus far have audio copy and paste"
ACP is not bad, but it doesn't let me control a synth from a DAW, it can't sequence something like SynthX. Nanostudio is great, but do I need to sample everything I want to sequence?. Virtual Midi gets us closer to that, but its not there yet, and I hope someday down that road there will be some kind of mixer, because its going to be annoying having to go through every apps to change their output levels.
When I got into IOS, I thought I could do pretty much everything I could in FruityLoops, but its not there yet.
"But it's bedtime for me now..."
Me too! :) Good nite!
BUYING.
This is what Apple does and it does it VERY well! They will always keep you waiting for the killer features (e.g. when the iPad came out they didn't put the camera in, or faster processor, or as much memory as even the iPhone 4)
It's all about iteration...
I think if some people find the apps and ios limited, they should focus more on software and hardware. Some however, are working around the supposed limitations and achieving great things
This in turn, inspires developers to increase their apps capabilities. At least that's what the devs tell me.
It is all still a work in progress and I'm happy to come along for the ride.
I will probably stick to my 3GS for another year.
Because the 3GS stays in production, I'm expecting most apps to keep supporting it. Also, in Q2 it was still the second best selling smartphone in the U.S. so it obviously represents a huge user base.
I've been thinking a lot about waiting for iPhone 5 and I decided to buy the 4S .... because ..... I think that the next generation iPhone will be with 4G technology and it's possible that will require a lot of redesign for the to pack it into a thin design and then there will be all the bugs and flaws like the poor antenna design with the iPhone 4. At least I know what I'm getting with the 4S and that the antenna works :) I really like the current design and my 3GS wants to spend the rest of it's life in the Akai SynthStation so I'm done sitting on the fence and will opt in for another 2 years with ATT and wait for the iPhone 6S
@Marlene DeGrood
"will opt in for another 2 years with ATT and wait for the iPhone 6S"
The iPhone Success (6S) is destined to be better than the iPhone For Ass (4S). :D
@Papernoise....
"my iPhone 3G still works fine :)"
It may sound okay- but I bet you can't run half the applications any more?! ;)
That's why I updated to a FREE 3GS. It was the best thing I did. The 3G is soooo sloooowwww!
Thinking about a 4 now (for £100). :)
Post a Comment