The big update for Music Studio has arrived. Here's a reminder of what's new:
- Audio tracks:
- Microphone recording
- AudioCopy & AudioPaste
- iPod library or wav/mp3/AAC/ogg file import
- Waveform and audio-region editing
- 35 new instruments: 24 synths, 9 orchestral and 2 drum kits
- Drum pads, chord pads and chord programming
- Pitch wheel, filter wheel
- File sharing via email and SoundCloud
- New look & feel
- Hardware support:
- iRig, iRig Mic, Ampkit Link, Apogee Jam, Alesis IO Dock, iConnectMIDI and Line 6 MIDI Mobilizer II
- Keyboard split point setting
- CoreMIDI compatibility improved
- Many new small features
- Volume gradient
- Attack offset time configurable for every instrument
- Keyboard sustain button
- ...and many more!
- • Performance improvements in all areas
15 comments:
I haven't been keeping up… is this the first one? The first app that'll let you record live instruments alongside midi sequences? I seem to remember that being some sort of long-awaited holy grail for me awhile back.
Hooray! This is what I've been waiting for! More so in fact than yesterday's Apple event! :)
Still looking forward to iOS 5 though. :D
Edith, no GarageBand can.
But that thing won't even let me do a song in 3/4 or 12/8!! Or it wouldn't when I tried, and I gave up in disgust. That was awhile ago though.
Garageband has some nice instruments, but it's severely disabled elsewhere.
Music Studio has it's faults, but it's strengths lie in the fact that it can operate external MIDI modules as well (by muting tracks within). I think this was a very wise move by the developers. We didn't see an iPad 3 with a quad-core processor emerge yesterday, and I doubt we'll see one for at least another year.
But you can still write on the move- even if the instruments and the effects routing (the reverb is truly awful! lol!) are pretty horrible. :)
I think we will see a major update on GarageBand for iPad once ios5 launches soon...
That app is never out of the top ten, likely for a reason.
Apple will want to ensure their apps sales so rest assured your desires will be fulfilled..
Hmm I wouldn't be too sure Zac. My experience with Apple's iWeb and Numbers hasn't been a good one. They're rarely updated, and still cant beat, especially the latter, Microsoft's Excel.
Garageband is probably up the top of the chart because no one knows any better. Apple are very good at marketing you know! So are Coca-Cola, and people have been drinking that filth for over a century! ;)
The 3rd point you also make, I also refute that. Again, just look at iWeb- probably the easiest to use Web making app ever, and Apple just let it rot. And severely disabled it making it almost impossible to use for external clients (ie make a living out of using it- as Apple would prefer for you to buy a computer with a fresh install!). ....And one more thing....There's also Logic Express and Pro! ;)
C'mon, Tom! You're actually comparing MS Excel on a Mac or PC to Numbers on the iPad???
And zac is right, GB is a great piece of software for $5 and appeals to many, many folks using an iPad who want to make a little music. It's not a "pro" app, is it? Professionals will use Logic on the Mac, and look down their nose at the iPad for anything short of using it as a super-cool controller.
Did Apple "need" to add Core MIDI to iOS for sales/business reasons? Of course, not, but they did, and we reap the benefits. Making sofware and operating systems is extremely difficult work, and they are moving forward at a very nice clip thus far, so patience my friend. :)
"C'mon, Tom! You're actually comparing MS Excel on a Mac or PC to Numbers on the iPad???"
Was I? :?
I never recall making a comparison. :?
Maybe you should read my post before drawing up wild conclusions? For eg, where is the iOS version of iWeb?? ;)
Numbers did begin on the Mac you know! ;)
But it has never been an equal to Excel.
OTOH, both Pages and Keynote are far better than their Office counterparts. Unfortunately most establishments use Windows based computers and not Mac.
I think that garageband is nice for ipad as a sketch pad for a musical idea. You can then move it over to Garageband on you computer to go deeper. It is a solid app for the broad group of people out there who want to do music but are not into more esoteric stuff. Anybody who uses garageband can get a ton of use out of it.
I have been playing with Music Studio free to check it out and I like it a lot. Audio tracks and midi togeather is great and it works on my iphone. It is also an investment price wise and I did not know if it duplicated what I already had so kudos for the free version to try out Music Studio.
I like the more flexible instruments on beatmaker and nanostudio but after having the experence with the free version and not feel too limited sound wise am begining to feel like Music Studio may be a option for me as well.
I think Garageband is really nice to work with once you get past the Clippy-like front screens. And it's a steal for five bucks, but I just can't use it except for songs in 4/4!! I am the only person I know who carps about this. I want time-sig features for all my music apps, Tabletop especially. I don't like to be a whiner but I kinda share Tom TM's very low expectations as far as the timeline for GB improvements goes. A major update might come; we can hope for that but I'm not holding my breath. Have we heard anything about this? (Not being sarcastic, I really don't know.)
This is an excellent update, but I can not believe the effects routing is still the same! It's so insanely bad I almost can't believe it, considering how great the rest of the app is. I especially love that new chord buttons thing, it really helps me personally. I also wish it had a step sequencer type deal from drums like it's twin FL mobile, I find drum programming tedious without it.
But I'm just stuck on how useless the effect routing is, it's such a shame, I can't imagine why the dev hasn't tried to fix this before doing all those new features.
I can see the frustration on the time signature thing Edith. It might take them some time to get to it. I got the feeling they stuck to 4/4 so all the automatic instruments would quantize to that.
In my live band I was trying to explain the same thing and ended up explaining "basanova" and "waltz tempo" by dancing with people to a song on my ipod but reprograming people is somewhat easier than software.
I think there is some ipad software that is like Sylibus where you work more from the sheet music end (you assign midi sounds) that works with different time signatures. But you have to be handy with notation.
At least this thing has a swing button! That's something.
I have been able to trick certain apps into recording 3/4 tunes -- like I can do it in Studio.HD, pasting in audio from other apps. But it gets all confused about where I am in the song. It doesn't know I'm in 3/4 so it's counting measures as if I'm in 4/4. But who cares, I have ears and I just sort of eyeball it when I'm dragging things around. The quantization is weird though. Not weird enough to sound awful but you can tell it's struggling against the wrong beat.
@kvc totally agree. beautiful interface, very generous of Alex for giving it as an update, but such wasted potential with the effects routing :-(
Post a Comment