iPhone App Directory

Thoughts on PatternMusic for iPhone


I've played with this app a bit today and I have to say that I do like it. It has the combination of simplicity and depth that are exactly what a mobile music app needs.

The first thing that I liked about this is that it had a short intro video built into the app. That makes a lot of sense if your app has a user interface that's unfamiliar or could confuse a new user.

As for the interface it is simple enough to get going and make music very quickly, but also has enough depth to do different things. For example, this app will let you write in 3/4 time. I love that.

The sounds are fine but not tweakable although that isn't really where this app is aiming at. I can see myself arranging with this and because of that it would be nice to have an export option for songs, probably for MIDI rather than WAVE.

The other thing that I really like about this app is that it uses a piano roll editor and uses it very well to be fair. I like using a piano roll for entering notes and this one is very simple and easy to use.

The song stage is the main part of the app and allows you to move patterns around the stereo field and manage their volume too. It reminds me a lot of Looptastic in that sense. It would be nice if the stage responded to multi-touch so you could move more than one pattern at a time, I think that would be useful, but for no it is still an interesting way of mixing sounds.

I think this app has a great deal of potential and I hope it will do well and get continued development as I think it could improve in a couple of areas. However, if you're looking for synths / tweakable sounds then this isn't the app for you (at least not at the moment anyway).

If you're after making music using piano rolls and a set of reasonable instrument sounds it is worth look at Pattern Music.

Pattern Music at the app store:
PatternMusic

Bookmark and Share

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

sounds great

Anonymous said...

I think I'll get this one