iPhone App Directory

Thoughts on Bebot


I mentioned Bebot a while back and never got around to giving you a bit more information about it. In many ways Bebot is a lot like other theremin-esque (is that a word?) apps available on the app store. However, as a number of people have pointed out, there is more to this app than meets the eye. It is in fact quite deceptively versatile.

The app does give you a small amount of control over sound and waveform, together with the scale and a couple of effects, all of which helps a lot. However, the really impressive thing for me was the number of touches it would accept. Four simultaneous notes was really good.

I'd like to see some accelerometer functionality in the app, and maybe a record function too. But it is good as it stands.

Bebot available on the iTune AppStore

Bookmark and Share

tags technorati :

6 comments:

gregor said...

There's a nice video about bebot by Jordan Rudess on youtube. He gets some amazing sound out of the thing.

ashley said...

I think I posted that video a few days ago, thanks for the pointer though.

robman84 said...

Gotta say, Bebot is my current favourite time killer. I'll try to record some fiddling with it at some point, but suffice to say once you get used to setting up your own patches and using the scale features it becomes masterful. Then you exit the app and lose the bloomin' lot...

I've actually started writing down the settings for some patches on a piece of paper! How retro is that!! Maybe it should ship with a PDF patch sheet you can print out :o)

velocipede said...

I also find Bebot to be a very satisfying fiddle. Like others, I just wish I could save presets and record. I would also like to hide the cute robot background sometimes.

By the way, after Palm-Sounds posted the JR video a few weeks ago. I sent it to Sonic State and they decided to include it in their SonicTalk podcast last week (haven't listened yet).

http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2009/02/26/podcast-sonic-talk119-its-totally-tropical/

ashley said...

Thinking about it I agree that not being able to save the state / settings on bebot is a bit of an oversight really.

Maybe I'll write about that?

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love Bebot, use it all the time for live performance, are there any apps for iPod Touch 3G that are similar and sound just as fat? My second favourite is ThumbJam.