iPhone App Directory

Dilemma ...


Ok. Here's my problem. My old Treo has pretty much given up the ghost. I've had to wipe it a couple of times now and some days it doesn't even function well as a phone. I had thought I might wait until the next gen iPhone came out on the basis that Apple should be able to offer video recording which would lead to a bunch of video apps springing up in the same way as photo apps have, and there might be something like TrakAx mobile available. Also, I was hoping that Mixtikl would port over to the iPhone eventually.

So today I get this email offer. This looks like a good deal to me. Here are the specs:

Operating System: Microsoft® Windows Mobile® 6.1 Professional, World Wide English

Processor: Samsung 520MHz

Memory:
  • 256MB Flash ROM
  • 64MB RAM
  • MicroSD expandable memory
Display: 2.8” TFT QVGA, Flat Panel (Touch Screen)
Keyboard: QWERTY keypad with semi-automatic sliding mechanism
Network Frequency:
  • Quad-band GSM 850/900/1800/1900MHz
  • Tri-band UMTS 2100/1900/850 MHz 
  • HSDPA 3.6Mbps
Connectivity:
  • Wireless LAN 802.11b/g
  • Bluetooth® version 2.0
Audio:
  • Speakerphone
GPS: Integrated highly sensitive SiFRstarIII GPS chip, reliable in urban and densely covered outdoor environments.

Camera:
  • 2 Megapixels CMOS camera 
  • Supports still image and video capture
So now I think that this might just do all the things I wanted in a phone in one go. It has a keyboard and a 500mhz processor so I should be able to run just about everything.

What I'd like to run is as follows:
  • TrakAx Mobile
  • Griff
  • Mixtikl
  • Sunvox
  • Audiobox
  • Styltap
I'm interested in views, and especially any thoughts from the developers of any of the above as to how these apps might perform on this device. All help, comments and suggestions gratefully received.

Bookmark and Share

3 comments:

robman84 said...

Obviously it has to be your choice, but this device looks a little dated in terms of specs at first glance. Mind you the price isn't bad.

It's a bit like Netbooks - it feels like a bad time to buy to me, as the technology isn't exactly ground breaking. I do like the look of the HTC Touch HD, but obviously the price is double! The only rubbish things about it is the lack of physical d-pad and no usb host.

ashley said...

I keep on going over the same territory here. I did this with the Treo 750 thinking that would solve lots of problems and all it did was create more.

On balance I'm going to wait it out and put up with my non-functional 650 as long as I can.

Thanks for the help though, it is appreciated.

Anonymous said...

Looks like a good spec to me! I've bought quite a few different Windows Mobile phones/PDAs over the past years. Most of them have suffered from poor battery life (except for one WinMo 2003 device that my wife now won't let go of). Some of them have simply stopped working! That said, I like the WinMo platform and Mixtikl should run fine on the on device you mentioned. expansys are always doing deals on Windows Mobile devices, there are lots of cheap, good spec devices available...

iPhone/Mixtikl - well, Mixtikl is now fully ported and running fine on the iPhone emulator, but we're *still* waiting clarification from Apple on terms in the SDK. Until (if?!) those are resolved, we can't release Mixtikl for iPhone; which is somewhat irritating but there you go...

Pete