iPhone App Directory

Are modular phones going to have modular operating systems?


With all this talk of modular smartphones the one thing that I find is constantly missing is how the OS is going to support this modularity. Personally I love the idea of a modular phone. I think it has a huge amount of promise on a number of fronts such as usability, personalisation, avoiding obscelesence, and more. But my constant thought is what about the OS. How will that work? For the most part these devices are going to be android powered. That's sort of a given, but why not have a truly modular OS? Something new? Something that's built specifically for a modular hardware platform.

So, that's my question and also what I see as the incongruity of the modular phone movement. 

Of course to a degree they will have a modular OS in some ways. Even with android the OS will need to be able to respond to different modules possibly hot swapping in and out but still it relies on android and that to a large extent is a shortcoming in my opinion. 

In many ways I'd like to hope that at least of these modular projects could actually have its own truly modular OS. I don't know what that could look like but I get the feeling that it would be a real innovation. 

No comments: