iPhone App Directory

If there is to be an iPad Mini then what will it mean?

There's lots of rumours about an Apple event on the 23rd to announce an iPad Mini, but still I can't really see how it fits in, or where it fits in. It doesn't make sense to me. Not to say that I couldn't be wrong, and not to say that it isn't just a reaction to all the other tablets of about the same size that everyone suggests an iPad Mini might be.

But if it does come out I can't see how it will distinguish itself or differentiate itself at all.

Maybe Apple will pull something amazing out of the bag. They haven't for a while, but it is possible, I suppose.

6 comments:

Tom TM said...

I'm slightly confused about why you feel this way about this Ashley. I would thought that you would be the first to admit that you would love the idea of a smaller iPad? You certainly have lusted over smaller Android tablets, so why not an iPad mini? Especially if it turns out to be cheaper, it's surely a win-win for everyone on a pocket music budget is it not? :)

Sonic Linsdell said...

For me its as simple as price. I can't afford the current price of an ipad, so if its as cheap as people are predicting (approx £200) then I'm getting one. But yeah I can see what your saying.

Anonymous said...

I'm holding out for the iPad XL, give me a 17 inch screen and I'm all set

A.C. said...

There's a thing that would differentiate that mini iPad: an stylus. That would make it much more usable for graphical artists as myself. Even for the music apps, I still find much more handy to work on the DS-10 than on any iOS app on my iPod Touch. Plus, a wacom-style stylus would make the little screen to work just as it was bigger, so original iPad apps woudn´t need any tweak to work just fine.

Tom TM said...

Of course there is always the iPad XL!! lol!

Tom TM said...

Ashley, I think this is the real reason we're about to see an iPad Mini. Being a father of two, my eldest in her old school started using iPads as a classroom and homework aid, the school required us the parents, to pay for the iPads, rather than the devices being supplied from the school's own budget. For a child, the existing iPad is quite hard to manage. But a smaller (and cheaper) one? Microsoft worked hard to get a PC into every British classroom throughout the noughties. The iPad mini I think is Apple's response. :)

http://9to5mac.com/2012/10/17/amazon-making-moves-to-displace-ipads-in-schools/