iPhone App Directory

Paul's Top 10

Here's quite a different top 10 from Paul:
  1. iStrobeSoft - A fantastic tuner that I've even been able to use effectively in live situations.
  2. TapThat - It's so basic, but so stupidly easy. Just tap the screen and you can find your tempo. I use this on musical theater gigs all the time to figure out how fast we're playing certain things so I can go home and rehearse at proper tempos.
  3. Tempo - A "Dr. Beat" in iPhone form. Absolutely essential for practicing.
  4. FunkBox - Fun to use in place of Tempo when the click-click-click-click starts to drive you batty.
  5. Soundrop - Serving no practical use whatsoever other than I find this app to be really, really, really fun to play with. I go back to it way more often than I thought I would.
  6. iReal Book - While not a music-making app per se, I've used it about a dozen times on various gigs. The ability to change charts to any key is mind-blowing, and has caused a few other musicians I know to purchase iPod Touches JUST for this app.
  7. Virtuoso - A dead-simple piano app for picking out melodies. I've used this a number of times when flipping through scores, just to hear how some bass parts go while away from my instrument.
  8. Nanoloop - I've used this a lot in my downtime and I feel like I've only barely scratched the surface of what it can do.
  9. NanoStudio - King of kings, unquestionably.
  10. iDrum Hip Hop - When Tempo and FunkBox can't quite give me the groove I need to practice a particular lick, this is where I turn. I just make up a little pattern in a matter of seconds that matches the part I'm working on. Fantastic app.
Sorry, Beatmaker...you were my first, but you've become completely irrelevant!

Thanks for your list Paul, if you want to share your top 10 just drop me an email.

Clip to Evernote

2 comments:

soundog said...

Thanks for this list ... its nice to have some from a composition/songwriting perspective.... I just wish that kink of king app had audio record so I could multitrack vocals over the other stuff. Maybe soon...

ashley said...

Good things will come to NanoStudio I think.