iPhone App Directory

Rebirth for iPhone


Who would have expected this. Rebirth turns up for the iPhone this morning! Here's the details:

ReBirth is back! Propellerhead Software's legendary Techno Micro Composer has been resurrected and made available for the iPhone. ReBirth faithfully emulates dance music's three backbone devices: The Roland TB-303 Bass synth and the Roland TR-808 and 909 drum machines. Combine these with FX units, fully featured pattern sequencers and a quick-acting, scalable iPhone interface and you'll soon be making techno on the train, trance on the tram or beats on the bus.

Features
2 x TB-303 Bassline Synthesizer with pattern sequencer
The original Acid House and Techno bass synth. Unrivaled power, unmistakable sound.

TR-808 Drum machine
Roland's sub-heavy 1984 beat computer. Instant hip-hop.

TR-909 Drum machine
The go-to beatbox for everything House and Techno. Press play and you're dancing.

Tempo-synced digital delay
Bouncy and hypnotic, always in time with your music.

Compressor with threshold and ratio
A streamlined compression unit for added beefiness.

Distortion unit with amount and shape
Raw and rugged distortion for that extra edge. Works wonders with any 303 bassline.

PCF effect
Pattern controlled Low-pass / Band-pass filter - a tweaker's delight.

Mixer
Device specific mixer sections with pan, delay sends and FX switches

Mod support
Includes 5 original user mods with alternative soundsets and graphics

Rebirth at the app store:
ReBirth

14 comments:

Sigmund said...

Is this a big advance on technobox which does much of the same?
It looks nice and involved but it also looks like it would be hell to use on a small screen like the Iphone. The Ipad, I can imagine but the screenshots make it look like the most twiddly app I've ever seen and unless I can shrink my fingers to Barbie size it's simply going to be too awkward to use on iphone.

RogB said...

Wow that's great, even though there are already quite a few 303/808/909 combo apps out there. I'm seeing this as propellerheads testing the water before doing Reason for ipad...

RogB said...

Looking at the screenshots I agree with sigmund, I didn't realise that it was an exact port of the pc one which you have to navigate around. Regarding technobox, I think it only has one 303, but the interface looks far more suited to the small screen

Anonymous said...

The license is referenced in the app, from the Info button. Also on their site. http://rebirthapp.com/

It says something very curious. "The Software is subject to a License Agreement... It may not be copied, reproduced or otherwise transmitted or recorded, for any other purpose, without prior written permission by Propellerhead Software."

Am I reading this wrong, but are you not allowed to record what you create? Surely that would be crazy and limit its appeal?

robman84 said...

Yes it is just the PC version ported but what a port! I agree that hi res in an ipad will be awesome too. For now I'm in rebirth heaven :-)

Truthsayer said...

Your'e reading it wrong. It's the usual spiel that refers to the software itself.

Mr. A said...

I want to see ReCycle now with Intua Audio Copy Paste. Could be the PB&J of Beatmaker!

kid versus chemical said...

I bought this yesterday and used it a lot last night, it's really nice. It sounds way better than it's numerous clones. I thought what you thought about the interface initially, but if you doubletap on one of the synths or effects etc. it zooms in on it, so it's really not an issue IMO.

BUT...

This morning when I tried to start it up it just keeps crashing! I can't seem to get it to work now. I posted on the forum, so we will see if they can figure it out.

Also when it was still working I got crashes whenever I pulled out my earbuds, it would just freeze or sometimes the audio would glitch out completely (which actually sounded really cool, I wish the app could do it on its own, but thats another story).

johnnyg0 said...

How do you know if some software was good? When people are still exited about it almost 15 years later.

Rebirth was ahead of its time. I only saw the screenshots and it looks much more interesting than most iphone apps, and I'm certain it sounds just as great.

Pighood said...

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE port over Thor/Malstrom!!!!

Anonymous said...

what we need is a decent EXPORT file option!
like the beatmaker!
why on earth dont offer this?? Technobox as well..

The other thing i did not like is the resolution... Well...if you zoom a lot..the pic discloses its low quality..But why???? A hi res pic would add like what??? 3 MBs ???

Marcelo Torres said...

I allways dream of having RB in a portable device, Palm or anything, just dream but now i can't believe it, i'm downloading now, i'll make no comments cause i'll be rebirth-ing a lot ;) i've using RB since version 1.0 so i hope it can load my olds .RBS

cptlockheed said...

All right, looks like I really need to get an ipad now... but I'm amazed how well this runs even on my old iphone 3G. A true classic revived!

Anonymous said...

Can it export the beat to MIDI/Wav/Mp3?