iPhone App Directory

The Mobile Music Alphabet: S is for ...

S is a BIG letter in the mobile music world. I don't know why, but it seems that lots of things start with S.

S is for Sampletoy


SampleToy is a lot of fun. That's a good start. I do think that it isn't really a toy. Sure, you can have a lot of fun with it, but it can do a lot more too. I've really enjoyed playing with it and it has a great interface too, so I think it is more than a toy, but you judge for yourselves.
Sampletoy

S is for Slice


Slice is great, the interface is amazing and always makes me want to use it. Loads of fun to play with, and completely worth £0.59/$0.99.
Slice

S is for Sonorasaurus


Sonorasaurus and Sonorasaurus Rex for iPad 2.0 are awesome DJ applications for the iPhone OS. Loads of features and regular updates. What more could you want?
Sonorasaurus

S is for Sound Scope Space


Sound Scope Space for both iPhone and iPad is another app from the Strange Agency. Sound Scope is the kind of experimental sound / music app that I love. Interesting sound and interface and make strange noises. Excellent.
The Strange Agency LLC

S is for SoundGrid


SoundGrid is a great matrix sequencer app and the latest version has lots of new features. Really worth checking out if you haven't tried it and there's a lite version too.
SoundGrid

S is for Spoke


Of all the apps from the Strange Agency (and I've just realised that 3 of them start with S) Spoke is my least favourite. I like the idea, but I think it never really had the same level of finish as their other apps which was a shame.
Spoke

S is for Star6


Star6 is an amazing loop / sample manipulation app. At first I didn't like it too much, but it really grew on me a lot, and now my view has changed. If mangling samples is your bag and you haven't tried it out then you don't know what you're missing.
Star6

S is for Stompvox


Stompvox is a live effects app which lets you save and email presets too. My favourite feature is being able to record to a loop and export.
StompVox

S is for Sunvox


It is no secret that I'm a big Sunvox fan. An amazing cross platform tracker / synth / sampler / modular environment. An amazing piece of software and I can't wait to get it running on my iPad when it arrives.
SunVox

S is for Symphony


Symphony is a great notation app for the iPhone with an iPad 'Pro' version on the way too. If notation is what you need on the go then check this out.
Symphony

S is for SynthPond


SynthPond is one of the first iPhone apps I bought and I think that the concept is still very innovative indeed. It hasn't seen an update in way too long and can get overlooked as an early innovation in the iPhone music arena. If you don't know it then take a look.
synthPond

S is for Styletap

The Palm OS emulator for Windows Mobile, Symbian and now iPhone (jailbreak only). I still have this on my Axim, but don't use it so much now. Still a great idea and good software, and they're thinking of porting to Android as well now.

S is for Syntrax


If you've never been a Pocket PC or Windows Mobile user then you'll never have heard of Syntrax. This was a really early application that is still around although I don't think it is in active development any more.

S is for SoundPad


From the Palm OS, SoundPad is the synth engine behind lots of the miniMusic applications. SoundPad is an FM synth which allows you to create multiple sounds and banks and then use them in other miniMusic applications.

S is for Synthulator


An Android app which I'd love to try out one day.

S is for Stylophone


The humble stylophone. Not that brilliant in itself, but it is still an icon and has spawned lots of more useable idevices.

Stylophones at eBay

S is for SU10


A great sampler and very portable. One day I'll get my hands on one.
Like the QY and MU series the SIU10.

SU10 at eBay

Wow, that took a long time to write. I hope you found something interesting in there.

No comments: