iPhone App Directory

The Mobile Music Alphabet: A is for ...

Welcome the the mobile music alphabet, and more importantly, welcome to the letter A. For most of May I'll be running through the alphabet covering a variety of software, hardware and other stuff relating to mobile music. When I came up with this idea I was really pleased with myself. Then I remembered the letters Q and Y, which make life hard for the mobile music alphabet, but more of that in a few days time. For now, on with A.

A is for Argon on the iPhone


Argon is a great monosynth for the iPhone. A lovely app with some great features like the sequencer and loop recorder. It really is a great little monosynth which I constantly find myself going back to again and again. And now that it has copy to beatmaker built in it has become central to my mobile workflow. This app has had good steady updates from the developer and I hope that they continue with it. If you don't know Argon then check it out here.
ARGON - The Monophonic Virtual Analog Synthesizer -

A is for AudioForge on the iPhone


A real newcomer to the iPhone, AudioForge is an editor with a lot of features. I've only just started to get to grips with this app but it has been good to use so far.
Audioforge

A is for Aurora on Windows Mobile


Aurora from 4Pockets is a superb matrix sequencer app with excellent sounds and some great synth options. It was a realy surprise when 4Pockets brought this out, and an even bigger surprise when they recently announced that they were porting it to the iPhone and iPad. I really should spend a bit more time with this on WinMo, but confess that I'm really looking forward to it on the iPhone!

A is for AxisPad on Palm OS


I still use AxisPad on my T3, and I still think that it is a really innovative app for an X-Y pad. If you've got a Palm lying around then try out the demo here.

A is for Android


I have high hopes that Android will bring good things to mobile music in time. There are a few apps out there already, but perhaps over time more developers will see Android as an attractive target for mobile music.

A is for Archos

The Archos 5 looks like a really good tablet for running Android though still a little pricey perhaps. Having said that, Palm PDAs used to be priced around the same point, so perhaps the Archos is a pretty good deal after all.

Archos 5 160GB Internet Tablet Android

I'm sure that there will be a few other 'A's' I've missed. If you think there are then please comment them in.

This post was brought to you by the letter A.

2 comments:

Pierre said...

Gee...Q and Y are easy! Just post something about the earliest of mobile music devices, the QY series from Yamaha. The QY10 was the first and the QY100 was the latest with a few models in between!

johnnyg0 said...

Nice article.

If Axis Pad didn't cost 20 bucks I would've bought it right on the spot.. but 20$... at the time I thought it was a lot and I was still thinking about getting it, but since then the Apple mobile platform has launched and there's a lot of free apps that do pretty much what Axis Pad does...

at 5$ I could get it because I'd like something like that on the palm (I also have Theremini, but Axix Pad has so much more sounds), but never at 20$.