iPhone App Directory

The Mobile Music Alphabet: C is for ...

Day 3 of the mobile music alphabet. Today's letter is C.

C is for Circuit Synth

As I'm sure you're aware Circuit Synth is on sale today as part of Palm Sounds 4th birthday celebration.

When I started the blog back in 2006 I don't think I could imagine that an app like Circuit Synth could appear for a mobile device, and yet here we are in 2010 and Circuit Synth gives you a little modular in your iPhone or iPod Touch.

Circuit Synth is a great app for experimenting and learning how things work. I've really enjoyed using it since I bought it, and I'm really looking forward to seeing what's in version 2.

Circuit Synth at the app store:
Circuit Synth

C is for Curtis Heavy


Curtis is one of those apps that I keep coming back to. Curtis is always fun to use and often produces unusual and unexpected results, which is one of the reasons I keep coming back to it I guess. Now that the Strange Agency has brought Sound Scope Space to the iPad I wonder if they'll do the same for Curtis?

Curtis at the app store:
Curtis - Granular Synthesizer

C is for Capers

Capers is a really old project for the Palm OS that never came about. The idea was to have a whole OS that would run on a Palm PDA. This OS would be dedicated to making music. What a lovely idea! Sadly it never came to much. There was some talk of the developer releasing the code a while back, but that didn't happen either. So I guess that capers is the one that got away.

C is for cellDS

Good to get a DS homebrew app in to the mobile music alphabet. cellDS has been around for a while, and is a permanent resident on my DS.

C is for Circuit Bent


It is fair to say that not all circuit bending is handheld, but I still think that it is worth putting in the mobile music alphabet. If you're interested in getting into handmade and circuit bent music you could do a lot worse than getting Nic Collins book.

Handmade Electronic Music: The Art of Hardware Hacking

and finally, C is for Casio VL-Tone


No mobile music alphabet would be complete with out the great VL-1. The VL-1 was one of the first mobile music instruments I ever owned, and I am still amazed that they go on eBay for good prices to this day.

Casio VL-Tones at eBay

Hope you've enjoyed today's alphabet, this post was brought to you by the letter C

No comments: