iPhone App Directory

Jonathan Wolf's Top Ten iPhone / Touch apps

Sorry it took me a few days to put this up Jonathan, these days I feel like I'm running behind on everything! Good to get another reader's top 10 on the blog.

1) Looptastic Producer for live mixing.
Looptastic Producer

2) Star6 for rhythmic riffs and beat mangling.
Star6

3) TouchOSC for controlling Ableton Live.
TouchOSC

4) Gliss for musically challenging melodies.
gliss

5) Tonepad Pro for on-the-fly, arpeggiated melodies.
TonePad Pro

6) Beatmaker for beat sequencing (to export to Looptastic).
BeatMaker

7) Bloom for ambient soundscaping.
Bloom

8) RJDJ for experimental soundscaping.
Reality Jockey Ltd.

9) Everyday Looper for live looping.
Everyday Looper

10) FourTrack for a final mixdown.
Sonoma Wire Works

I would like to include apps like 8BitOne or Argon, but in all honesty, I rarely use iPhone/iPod Touch synth engines in my music making. Those are the toys I use in Ableton.

This is only the iPhone aspect of my setup, too.. not even looking at the WinMo, PalmOS, Linux, and XP aspects of things. :)

Thanks Jonathan, that's a good list. If you want your top 10 on Palm Sounds just email me at palm dot sounds at mac dot com

4 comments:

Icepulse said...

I have to add the following:

•Wivi Band - sublime woodwind and brass modeling.

•iShred - Simply the best sounding guitar app.

•Synthpond - Like Bloom, but more flexible.

•Nanoloop - Elegant.

•Ellatron - Spot-on emulation.

•Bebot - It's flexibility reveals itself, the more you dig in to it.

•A-G7 Midi Guitar.

Otter said...

Dont forget about Thumbjam! The samples are excellent!

ashley said...

ThumbJam is a bit of a fav right now for me too

Sigmund said...

OK, here's a slightly different list.
Here's the apps I currently use for real-time alteration of live music sounds.

Effector Lite.
Nice sounding, multiple effects and free!

RiotFX
Nice set of effects including auto-wah (although it could do with better reverb)

StompVox
Very nice echo unit

PRS Amp
Great tuner and basic effects unit.

iRock
Good range of sound options but could do with a few more effects.

Voiceband
Works very well with an instrument as an input (not so well using just your voice).

Jasuto Pro
Great for experimenting with.
Plenty of options to change the sound of an input although there is a bit of a time lag involved.

OttO
Can be used to get some weird sound effects from a live instrument.

SfS Synth
This is limited but gives a strange slightly lagged background synth accompaniment to a live performance.

SonicVox
I know its designed for silly voice tricks but I found it can also be used as an interesting music effects unit (particularly the first setting).