iPhone App Directory

Playing with Thicket again


I was playing thicket again just yesterday. I'm always impressed at this app and easy it is to make something with it. Although in many ways it isn't an app about making music. By that I mean it is more about experiencing sound and visuals rather than creating something permanent. I think that a lot of mobile apps that don't follow the desktop idea or aren't synths recorders etc fall into this category. I like that.

I like the idea that the whole thing is just about the experience while you're using it.

Thicket - Interval Studios

Clip to Evernote

2 comments:

rondema said...

As you know, apps such as this interest me in more ways than one..

Tom D said...

It is a great app, I must have spent an hour or two playing with it. The way the music responds to the gestures seems really intuitive, and the music is great. However, the graphics are sometimes a bit too simplistic, and after playing with it a while it starts to become repetitive. A more truly "generative" version (I believe this one is basically triggering samples and adjusting loop points) would be amazing, but even as it is, it's a really immersive experience and made me think about the possibilities if an established artist/composer were to team up with a developer to create a Thicket-style version of their music. Sure someone will do it soon.

For what its worth, my favourite app of this kind visually is still Gravilux, and sonically is Bloom HD - an absolutely beautiful creation, please bring us more iPad apps Eno!