iPhone App Directory

How to Make a Noise: iPad Synthesizers Edition

I've been meaning to post about this book for ages now, and I've finally got around to it.

I've been reading this book for a while now, but haven't as yet finished it. When I heard about the book I was a bit sceptical about it initially as I thought it might just be another manual it turns out to be a lot more than that.

This book is really about the principles of synthesis and the applies those to a handful of iPad apps. I'm still only just over half way through but there are a few things that I've learnt or have clarified from reading this book.

I think that what makes it especially useful is that it applies principles to how things work in apps like the iMS-20 NLog and Rebirth rather than just explaining the principle.

I'm going to finish the book in the not too distant future (hopefully) and when I do I'm going to write another more complete review of the book.

Until then, if you're interested you can take a look at it on iBooks by using the button below.

How to Make a Noise: iPad Synthesizers Edition - Simon Cann

Clip to Evernote

2 comments:

Marlene DeGrood said...

Not available in U.S. store but Amazon has the kindle version.

Unknown said...

I've read this book several times. It is pretty good for an overview of sound synthesis. It picks some odd apps to focus on but the NLog and iMS-20 sections are particularly applicable to most synths. The Bassline, Rebirth and iElectribe sections are interesting but these are really special purpose synths and not the best learning tools. I recommend it nonetheless. Very cheaply priced and well written!

Where's Walter Music blog