iPhone App Directory

Cue Play DJ Review


I've been playing with the new version of Cue Play DJ for a few days now and I have to say that I'm really impressed. I've said before that I'm no professional DJ, and using this I get a real feel for what it might be like if I wanted to get more professional.

To say that Cue Play DJ is a fully featured DJ app is a bit of an understatement. At first look you could seriously underestimate what this app can do. There's a lot beneath the surface here. The fact that it has a complete in app manual which runs to 37 pages gives you a clearer idea of what you're dealing with.

The latest version also includes iPod Library access which I found useful whilst out and about. Using the iPod Library means you can't take advantage of BPM analysis (you can on iPhone 4 and 3GS), you'll need their desktop tool to do that, but if you already know the BPM of the tracks then it is fine to work with.

One thing I was really impressed with was the ability to move from the Play Screen to the Cue Screen just by changing the devices orientation. I can't think of another app that uses orientation to control parts of workflow and I thought that this was a great idea and I'd like to see it in more live oriented apps.

Using cue points and beat grids was straightforward once I'd got my head around the depth of the app, and the EQ and FX panels give you a lot of control over your sound.

I use a lot of apps for all kinds of music making. Some you get to know your way around very quickly and others take time. This app took me more time, possibly because as I said before I'm no pro DJ, but also I think because it has a lot of depth and for me that makes it an app that I'll keep coming back to.

The latest version should be available imminently, and if DJ apps are something that interest you then you should check it out.

UPDATE: BPM Analysis using iPod Library access does work on the iPhone 4 and 3GS but not on the 3G 



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

v1.5 of Cue Play Dj looks brilliant...amazing how they've been able to capture a lot of what programs like Serato & Traktor offer but all in one place. It looks like they've spent a lot of time over the interface design in order to give as much functionality in the space available but leaving it as a credible live Dj tool as well. Would be interested to see if other professionals will be dipping their toes into this sort of thing soon.

Dj Agent M said...

Best Mobile Dj app ive used so far. Best attempt at using ipod library yet as well